Ball State University — Ph. D. in English (Composition and Rhetoric) — May 2009
- Received a University Doctoral Fellowship (August 2004 – May 2006)
- Passed with Distinction on Graduate Candidacy Exams (January 2007)
- Dissertation: Digital Students in the Democratic Classroom: Using Technology to Enhance Critical Pedagogy in First-Year Composition (Committee: Dr. Linda Hanson, chair; Dr. Paul Ranieri, member; Dr. Webster Newbold, member; Dr. Carole Clark Papper, member; Dr. James Chesbro, member)
- Focused on critical pedagogy, teaching with technology, instructional design for online learning, assessment, and creative nonfiction pedagogy
Ball State University — M.A. in English (Creative Writing) — July 2007
- Focused on creative nonfiction pedagogy and the rhetoric of the segmented essay.
- Creative nonfiction thesis, Buried in Polyester (Committee: Jill Christman, chair; Mark Neely, member; Dr. Carole Clark Papper, member).
Missouri State University–M.A. in Writing (Composition and Rhetoric) — July 1999
- Focused on the politics of the personal essay, collaborative learning theories, and writing theory.
- Completed a research thesis, Collaboration and Communication in the College Composition Classroom (Committee: George H. Jensen, chair; Nancy L. Walker, member; Margaret E. Weaver, member).
- Coursework in composition theory and pedagogy, rhetoric, and creative nonfiction.
College of the Ozarks — B.A. in English — May 1997
- Minor in Speech Communication.